Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Watching the Space Shuttle launch!


This was taken while the kids were watching a rerun of the Discovery Space Shuttle launch with Steven. Isaac has watched it probably 30+ times since it's original airing. I accidentally stumbled across it one afternoon when Elise was sleeping but Isaac wasn't... and I wasn't feeling well. In an effort to try and find a Curious George or the like on our upstairs non-DVR TV, I found the space shuttle launch being covered on the government channel. Isaac was immediately drawn to it. I ran downstairs and DVR'd it once I saw how mesmerized he was. We watched the prelaunch for 20 minutes (which was impressive because they don't show much during the prelaunch time; it's just a shot of the very still shuttle.) When the launch happened, Isaac was fascinated and wanted to watch it over and over. Since then, we've watched it almost once a day (or more) together. He can even identify when the gaseous oxygen vent hood ("Beanie cap") needs to come off or when it's time for the rocket boosters to come off. Also, he has started "playing" space shuttle with his toys and also asking Steven to "do space shuttle" when he's pushing the jogging stroller (which means Steven does a countdown and then starts running really fast as they "blast off"!) Maybe we have a future astronaut in our home?!!

No comments:

All photos, text, and videos are copyrighted by the author.