He did such a great job helping me. He worked on two carrots while I used the other [less-than-safe] peeler to peel twenty. I also chopped them up for preschool snacks and to freeze for soups. Right before we were ready to clean up, Isaac took the [safe] peeler and not-so-safely nicked his thumb with the sharp part of the peeler. So much for being the mom of the year, huh?! I felt horrible about it - in an effort to let him assist me (and he's always asking to help!), he got hurt. Ahhhh!!! All those feelings from when he fell and cut his lip and when he had an anaphylactic reaction to peanut butter came back to haunt me in that very moment. But I tried my best to push them away as I was quickly bandaging him up. I knew that I had taken a risk by allowing him to help me peel the carrots, but growing up is all about taking risks to step forward into the next phase of life, right?! I breathed a deep breath and told Isaac how proud I was of him and how helpful he was (even though I was still calming down inside.) All in all, though, it was a great experience for Isaac. He learned a new skill and was a wonderful helper as always!
Friday, October 1, 2010
Carrot peeling!
Last week, I found myself with an abundance of organic carrots that had come in our bi-weekly produce box. So I asked Isaac if he'd like to help me peel them. He was more than thrilled to assist. Here he is, using the [safe] peeler for the first time:

He did such a great job helping me. He worked on two carrots while I used the other [less-than-safe] peeler to peel twenty. I also chopped them up for preschool snacks and to freeze for soups. Right before we were ready to clean up, Isaac took the [safe] peeler and not-so-safely nicked his thumb with the sharp part of the peeler. So much for being the mom of the year, huh?! I felt horrible about it - in an effort to let him assist me (and he's always asking to help!), he got hurt. Ahhhh!!! All those feelings from when he fell and cut his lip and when he had an anaphylactic reaction to peanut butter came back to haunt me in that very moment. But I tried my best to push them away as I was quickly bandaging him up. I knew that I had taken a risk by allowing him to help me peel the carrots, but growing up is all about taking risks to step forward into the next phase of life, right?! I breathed a deep breath and told Isaac how proud I was of him and how helpful he was (even though I was still calming down inside.) All in all, though, it was a great experience for Isaac. He learned a new skill and was a wonderful helper as always!
He did such a great job helping me. He worked on two carrots while I used the other [less-than-safe] peeler to peel twenty. I also chopped them up for preschool snacks and to freeze for soups. Right before we were ready to clean up, Isaac took the [safe] peeler and not-so-safely nicked his thumb with the sharp part of the peeler. So much for being the mom of the year, huh?! I felt horrible about it - in an effort to let him assist me (and he's always asking to help!), he got hurt. Ahhhh!!! All those feelings from when he fell and cut his lip and when he had an anaphylactic reaction to peanut butter came back to haunt me in that very moment. But I tried my best to push them away as I was quickly bandaging him up. I knew that I had taken a risk by allowing him to help me peel the carrots, but growing up is all about taking risks to step forward into the next phase of life, right?! I breathed a deep breath and told Isaac how proud I was of him and how helpful he was (even though I was still calming down inside.) All in all, though, it was a great experience for Isaac. He learned a new skill and was a wonderful helper as always!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
All photos, text, and videos are copyrighted by the author.
3 comments:
You ARE a great Mommy and he is learning how to exercise caution at an early age--next time he probably will not peel his finger! If it makes you feel better, I have NO recollection of pinching the end of my index finger off in a lawn chair when I was his age. It was bad enough that it required surgery, but I don't even have much of a visible scar. Kids are resilient and they are expert forgetters of the bad stuff! ;)
I still think it's great that he helps you. Especially with peeling stuff. I really don't like peeling stuff. It's worth a few cuts and bruises to raise a confident and capable man, don't you think? :)
Thanks so much Sandy and Erin for the encouraging words. :)
Sandy - Yes, I love, love, love that kids are so resilient!!! I tell myself that very often!
Erin - I sure do hope these efforts will help Isaac become a confident and capable man who can be helpful around the house. Cuts and bruises will pale in comparison to the awesomeness of a happy daughter-in-law right?! ;)
Post a Comment