Over the past week, Steven and I have been able to go out on three dates, thanks to my parents. On two of them, we decided to visit the AMC movie theatre. The two movies we saw were Seven Pounds and Valkerie. We enjoyed them both very much, so I thought I'd share a few thoughts about them for my readers.
Seven Pounds was a great story of a man who, through a tragic event, learns what it means to give without strings attached. On our way home from this movie, Steven and I talked nonstop about the enormity of how giving selflessly can have an incredibly far-reaching impact. And then we thought about the sacrifice of Jesus. By giving his life, dying in place of sinful mankind, we can each be set free from an eternity in hell. When we die, because of Jesus' sacrifice, we have the promise of a glorious life forever in heaven with the Creator of the universe. Powerful. Seven Pounds is an intense movie, and I can bet that it will make you think. And think. And ponder. And realize the blessing of life and the power of self-sacrifice.
Valkerie was based on a true story of a group of men who stood against the Hitler regime. This movie was very inspiring for us on several levels. First, we learned about something that most folks probably don't know happened during Hitler's reign. Since the effort "failed", these men haven't been hailed as great history-makers. However, the effort itself showed incredible bravery and, again, willingness to sacrifice their image, careers, even lives for the benefit of others. Therefore, I am so glad this story is being told to the masses through film. Second, this movie shows that one person can make a difference in this world, and it encouraged a boldness in me to stand for what I know is true and not back down. Who knows what my "Valkerie moment" might be? Or yours?
Thanks Mom and Dad for making it possible for Steven and me to see these and to have "couple time". This is so very important for our marriage, and we are blessed to have such awesome people to spend time with Isaac while we're out. We love you both!
No comments:
Post a Comment