Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A beautiful, unexpected surprise


Last night, Steven and I went to bed around 10:00. I've had a sore throat for a few days and have had trouble falling asleep, so around 10:30 I was still awake and heard some noise on the first floor of our house (our bedroom is on the second floor). It sounded like some items had been knocked onto the floor, so I knew that the situation needed to be assessed. I woke Steven up and told him about the noise. As is customary when we hear noises, he armed himself and proceeded down the stairs to check things out. A few minutes later, he came upstairs and said "It was just the cats, but you've got to see something!"

We ran down the stairs, and he opened our back door to reveal a beautiful, very unexpected snowfall!

The flakes were large, and the snow was already accumulating on our deck. It was absolutely gorgeous and quite breathtaking. The world seemed so quiet and peaceful in that moment. I breathed in the cold, fresh air and thanked God for the opportunity to see this snowfall.

This morning when we woke up, the snow had stopped falling and our ground was covered with a white dusting.

While looking out our window at the winter wonderland, I realized that if I hadn't been startled by a loud noise at 10:30 last night and if Steven hadn't been inconvenienced by having to get up and assess the situation, we wouldn't have ever seen the snow coming down. We would have seen the white covering in the morning, but we wouldn't have been able to partake in the miraculous moment of the actual snowfall.

Just like last night, in my life I've often experienced incredible miracles and beautiful moments only after going through "inconveniences."

While all of our neighbors saw the results of the snowfall when they woke up this morning, we were able to see the snowfall itself. I felt so privileged standing out on our deck last night, thanking God for the chance to see something so rare in our region. How many times have I missed out on experiencing something awesome because I tried to avoid an "inconvenient" circumstance or person or idea instead of embracing it? How many times have I just settled for being an observer of the results? Last night's experience reminded me that if I embrace whatever the Lord may bring my way, I will be in for an unexpected, beautiful surprise!

2 comments:

Erin G said...

so true, betsy.

is there enough on the ground this morning to play in it?

Betsy said...

Hey Erin!
I sure wish there was more - it ended up being more of a dusting than a real snow... It seemed like more this morning, but since the sun's been out, it's melted quite quickly! We did manage to get Isaac out and let him walk in the snowy grass for a bit... and we snapped a few pics while he was at it. But I'm still not calling this Isaac's "first snow!"

All photos, text, and videos are copyrighted by the author.