Fall is my favorite time of the year... for real. Of course, I can find beauty and excitement in each of the seasons, but this one has the others beat by far. Let me tell you why...
First of all, every year there comes a point when I get that first whiff of the fragrance of fall. I always say, "It's starting to smell like pumpkins!" It isn't really pumpkins that I smell, but I've said that since I was a little girl, so I guess it stuck. Actually I don't know why the air smells distinctly different in late September and early October, but it just does, and I'm fine with that! Anyway, when I get this first smell of the autumn season, I know that my favorite time of the year has arrived.
Second, my birthday is in the fall. And Steven's. And Isaac's. And my mom's. And Steven's mom's... and the list goes on! We also got married in the fall! Here's the rundown of only family birthdays (this list doesn't even take into account extended family or friends who also celebrate birthdays and anniversaries in the fall...)
My birthday - October 6th
My grandparents anniversary - October 7th
Steven's birthday - October 11th
Our anniversary - October 16th (ya think we like October??!!)
My mom's birthday - October 20th
Steven's mom's birthday - October 27th
Our niece's birthday - November 19th
Isaac's birthday - November 21st
Really the only day you need to remember is October 6th - my birthday. (and Betsy chuckles! And anxiously awaits presents to abound on her doorstep a week from Monday...)
Anyway, it's obvious that lots of celebrating happens in our family during the fall season! Maybe that's why it's my favorite time of the year...
Third, I absolutely love yard sales! And I especially love yard sale shopping on crisp fall Saturday mornings! Of course deals can be found starting in the spring and all through the summer, but half of the reason I love yard sales is because they give me a reason to get out early in the morning on Saturdays in the fall. It's almost indescribable, but I just love stepping out my front door at 8 AM and taking a big, deep breath of that fall air and then going to find really cool stuff for very little moolah.
Fourth, there are lots of holidays coming up! It should be 'nuff said when I tell you that I love Thanksgiving and Christmas. More about that later! But I also enjoy the last day of October. I know that folks have differing opinions about celebrating or not celebrating the holiday that is recognized on that day, but all I know is that lots (and I mean lots!) of children ring our doorbell from about 6-9 PM on that night every year. They range from tiny babies to teenagers, and each of them seems so sweet when they ring the bell and ask for a treat. Most of the little ones have no idea what they are doing - except for getting way too much yummy candy in their bags. However, the teenagers always amaze me. They seem a little more humble than when you usually see them around town (at the mall, etc.) It's as if they don't really know if you'll give them anything, so they try to say "trick-or-treat" as kindly as possible in hopes that their sweet demeanor will ensure that they'll get something good - for free and from a stranger, I might add. So, regardless of our opinion about the day and its symbolism, every year we know that our doorbell will be rung many times and kids will be awaiting a treat. So, we've enjoyed buying some special candy each year and handing it to the kids while praying that they'll feel the presence of the Lord at our home. This also gives us a great opportunity to meet and reacquaint ourselves with our neighbors. We live in a pretty tight-knit community, so every year this is a time when everyone enjoys some time to visit and get to know each other better.
Fifth, and I guess I'll stop here for now... it's time to plant again! I love getting out in the yard and planting, but there are only two times each year that are really best for doing that - spring and fall. This time last year I was "as big as a house" with Isaac in my belly, so I wasn't up for much planting. However, this year I am very excited about planting pansies in our front flower bed. I'm hoping to also be able to get some lovely mums and pumpkins to adorn our front porch. Once that all takes place, I'll be sure and snap some pictures and post them so that my out-of-town readers can see the fruit of my labors. (or would it be "flowers of my labors?")
Nothing like the fall!
*And something tells me that there will be even more exciting things happening this fall considering the election and the state of our country. Therefore, while I'm celebrating birthdays, yard sale shopping, planting, giving candy, I must remember to lift up the United States in prayer, including our government, military, and civilians. Please join me.*
2 comments:
Fall has fell????
:) Enjoyed that explanation of fall, smells, etc!
Carly's birthday is Nov. 19th, though! :) Can't believe she's about to be 4 years old!! - and Isaac is almost 1!!!
Post a Comment