Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Teething...for real this time...

Isaac is really teething now! We can actually feel and see a tiny tooth peeking through the surface of his lower gum. For the past few days, he has been in pain off and on and we've been giving him infant's Tylenol to soothe him. We are also waking up to his cries of pain several times during the nights and trying to comfort him the best we can. Hopefully the pain will subside and the tooth will come in soon, and I'll be sure and post pictures if I can catch them with his mouth open!

In my search for teething pain relievers, I found the coolest thing yesterday at Walmart! It's called a Fresh Food Feeder and it is designed as a way to feed fruits/veggies to babies without the choking risk. I think it was either three or four dollars. My doctor (who lives in our neighborhood, by the way! How cool is that!?) had mentioned that she'd used this type of thing to soothe her children when they were teething. Well, after a couple days of trying it out, I'd say we have a winner! (For Isaac, at least!) Yesterday I put chopped apple in it, and he loved it! Today, when nothing else seemed to take his pain away, I put some crushed ice in it, and he chewed on it contentedly for quite a while. Of course, with all remedies, I'm learning that most of them only work for a little while and then on to the next thing that will either distract or entertain our little ones enough for them to forget about their sore gums...

However, I am totally impressed with this little thing and plan to take it on the road when we go out and about, along with some cold cut up fruit. It was inexpensive, is easy to clean, provides gum relief and allows little ones to get some essential nutrients from fruits and veggies in the process! This one gets a "Betsy's Favorite" award already!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those little things are great! Jonas loves his. My mom calls it "The Juicer"; she puts granny smith apples or pears in it. Sometimes even a teething biscuit, which Jonas also loves, but is really messy. I haven't thought about putting crushed ice in it...thanks for the tip!

Another good thing about "The Juicer" is that the baby is still getting some fluid. When they're teething, sometimes it hurts them too much to 'suck'. Usually Jonas will take less of his bottle when he's teething. I feel better knowing that he's getting some fluids from his juicer.

Great post!

Erin G said...

this was an erin favorite, too.... until I had to wash it out. video here (under "earth shattering news"): http://mgoetts.blogspot.com/2008/04/this-post-is-brought-to-you-by-letter-n.html

All photos, text, and videos are copyrighted by the author.